Melb.PM to see Lord of the Nerdlab

Scott Penrose scottp at dd.com.au
Tue Jan 7 18:53:10 CST 2003

> i would still like to have a go at scott's Hostname::Long thing, so my
> proposal is:
>
> 1800hrs turn up @ Nerdlab
> 1800-2000hrs work on Hostname::Long on various platforms*
> 2000-2130hrs eat @ some place in chinatown
> 2130-2200hrs head down to the nova in carlton
> 2200-????hrs see spirited away

Definitely has my vote :-)

> we could do Hostname::Long on the following platforms for sure:
>
> OS		Hardware
> --		--------
> IRIX		SGI Indy
> Solaris		Sun Ultra 5
> HP-UX		HP9000 D-Class
>
> and with a bit of effort (and people who know what they are doing?) we
> may also be able to do these:
>
> OpenVMS		DEC VAX 3100	(needs OS install from cdrom)
> AIX		IBM RS6000 F50	(move from myi to lab, get on network)
> FreeBSD		intel box	(needs OS install from cdrom)

I also have my Mac OS X and it is already tested under Linux - so we
are close to a full house.
Anyone got a Windows box running Perl ?

> Scott, can you describe what exactly needs to be done to get
> Hostname::Long working of the different platforms? Can you give us some
> code examples to prime us? :)

Hostname::Long (one day I hope to have this integrated back into
Hostname and just be part of perl core, but for now it has a separate
name) is a module to get the fully qualified domain of the host you are
on.

Just like Hostname which goes through a number of methods to find out
the current hostname of your machine, Hostname::Long does similar
methods to get the full hostname of your machine.

There is no standard for getting FQDN which is the reason for walking
through so many methods.

Scott Penrose
Welcome to the Digital Dimension
http://www.dd.com.au/
scottp at dd.com.au

Dismaimer: Contents of this mail and signature are bound to change
randomly. Whilst every attempt has been made to control said
randomness, the author wishes to remain blameless for the number of
eggs that damn chicken laid. Oh and I don't want to hear about
butterflies either.