Hardware::iButton and Device::ParallelPort

Scott Penrose scottp at dd.com.au
Thu Oct 17 21:11:37 CDT 2002

Hey Dudes,

I have become the maintainer of Hardware::iButton and intend to put it
up on CPAN (in its current form) on the weekend.
I have lots of mods I plan to do, mainly around improving the serial
port interfaces and possibly using the C code as a potential optional
backend to the pure perl one.

I thought people may also be interested that I have a good little board
layout for outputs and temperature sensors.

I also now have working the output (just with LED outputs) and a
temperature input.
The Temperature chips are about $8, measure from -10 to +85 c and are
..5 accurate ! Really amazing.
They also seem to react VERY quickly.

The real long term will be inputs to JINI (embedded Java Machines on a
single board), but these massively increase the complexity of the
protocol, which is all in code, not in hardware. The alternative is the
link with the existing C code above but that has many disadvantages:
	- Not GNU code (free, not really sure of the license yet) - seems to
be public domain ?
	- C files, not really easily linkable libraries, but I may be able to
change that
	- Not very cross platform, although Linux and Windows are supported.

For those also interested I am releasing a new version of
Device::ParallelPort to do linux parport access directly in perl, no
more C compiles / XS modules for that. You still require a compile for
the direct access linux module. My windows 32 DLL binding is also
almost complete, I lack the testing ability though :-)

Scott Penrose
Welcome to the Digital Dimension
http://www.dd.com.au/
scottp at dd.com.au

Dismaimer: Contents of this mail and signature are bound to change
randomly. Whilst every attempt has been made to control said
randomness, the author wishes to remain blameless for the number of
eggs that damn chicken laid. Oh and I don't want to hear about
butterflies either.