Mason for CGI application development?

Scott Penrose scottp at dd.com.au
Fri Nov 15 23:24:42 CST 2002

On Sunday, Nov 17, 2002, at 01:22 Australia/Melbourne, Timothy S.
Nelson wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Martin at Cleaver.org wrote:
>>> Templates and filters. Assign a common template, filter, or
>>> piece
>>> of code to an entire site (or a particular section) with a
>>> single
>>> well-placed file. (Docs)
>
> 	As someone who has used HTML::Mason (this was some time back), this is
> one of the best aspects.  You just code up some headers, drop them in
> one of
> the automatic files, and then they appear on all files in all
> subdirectories
> (unless directed otherwise).  Want to change your headings on all
> pages (eg.
> to add a stylesheet)?  Just change the main handler and it all happens.

That is true of course. Something I never understand is why it is not
used more often for standard static HTML pages. Even when I do the
simplest web site I will use SSI to do all the additional wrapping,
headers etc. Thus, as you said being able to replace CSS in one simple
place.

The whole concept of doing web pages with a GUI (ala Dreamweaver) is
infuriating. Long live templates, server side includes, Template
Toolkit, HTML::Mason, AxKit (and all those others I have missed) :-)

Scott
--
Scott Penrose
Open source developer
scottp at dd.com.au

Dismaimer: Open sauce usually ends up never coming out (of the bottle).