Red Hat, RPMs and Perl

Scott Penrose scottp at dd.com.au
Tue Aug 20 22:21:35 CDT 2002

On Wednesday, August 21, 2002, at 11:49 , Adam Clarke wrote:

> I have been considering this lately for out app servers. We use Debian
> and it tends to use perl for all sorts of admin duties which means that
> futzing with its version of Perl is to be done with care.
>
> I am leaning towards a /usr/local version of Perl so that I can easily
> update that (using CPAN). It would form the basis of out application
> and we won't have to worry about updating our entire OS just because
> Perl 5.8.1 has some u-bute feature we feel we really need.
>
> What do people think of this approach? Can you see any downside?

I was consdiering that too. That way you could also do a upgrade to 5.8
(or any newer version than in debian).

the problem I would have is package names. How do we install Template
Toolkit eg: libtemplate-perl. What if we want a 5.8 compiled version
(Template toolkit has a bit of C code which must be recompiled to work
with 5.8) and the 5.6 version (maybe it was needed by another package).

Tricky....

What we have thought about can't really be done, but that is to use mini
perl (special directories and all) for stuff that is REQUIRED by Debian.
Then you can use any version of perl, just like you can use alternate
versions of Apache. You could just changes your sources line .

Scott

--
Scott Penrose
Anthropomorphic Personification Expert
scott at cpan.org

Dismaimer: While every attempt has been made to make sure that this
email only contains zeros and ones, there has been no effort made to
guarantee the quantity or the order.