Red Hat, RPMs and Perl

Scott Penrose scottp at dd.com.au
Tue Aug 20 20:50:28 CDT 2002

On Wednesday, August 21, 2002, at 01:34 , JP Howard wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Aug 2002 09:27:50 +1000, "Scott Penrose"
> <scottp at dd.com.au> said:
>> However on our deployed servers we made the decision to never use
>> CPAN. What we do instead is make our own .deb of the CPAN module.
>> But it is easy for debian, you just use dh-make-perl and it does it
>> all for you
>
> Yes, you have to pick one or t'other... We chose the opposite and never
> use packages--always CPAN.

Well that would mean that anything depending on perl modules would fail,
unless you create a dummy package for each of those dependencies. So we
choose not to do that, also all our developed packages are already in
debian format.

>> CPAN is fairly well structured and predictable. I am still at a loss
>> at wondering why there isn't a repository of built CPAN packages for
>> all of RedHat, FreeBSD and Debian, we are so close to making this
>> possible. You know when you think something is logical it must
>> already exist - well it must already exist :-)
>>
> For precompiled packages, I guess ActiveState PPM is the repository
> of choice.

They are not in Red Hat or Debian format, which is what I mean.

So if I write a bit of softwrae called 'fred' I can just depend on the
perl modules I use, I could even just depend on 'libio-file-perl' and it
would exist, even though it is standard part of perl (ie: a dummy
package in that case). Then we have a one to one mapping of perl modules
to debian packages (or redhat, bsd etc) :-)

Scott Penrose
Open source developer
http://linux.dd.com.au/
scottp at dd.com.au

Dismaimer: Open sauce usually ends up never coming out (of the bottle).