[Madrid-pm] [bcn-pm] Looking for help with Spanish translation parts of the perldoc

Enrique Nell blas.gordon en gmail.com
Vie Feb 13 05:12:08 PST 2009

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 8:23 AM, Gabor Szabo <szabgab en gmail.com> wrote:
> I read a bit about it and it seems like a bit of an overkill for Padre
> and probably unusable for the perldoc/perldiag translation project.
> Besides I'd be afraid to install it on my server as I don't know this
> application well enough.
> With that said if we could provide the nice stats on the web server
> that would be great.

Well, at least we can try Virtaal for the translation of the .po files
(I don't like poedit).
The collaborative approach is faster, but prone to inconsistencies,
and usually requires a higher revision effort.
I guess that people interested in proposing suggestions or notifying
errors can use trac to do so.

The perldiag file contains around 30.000 words. Why don't we extract
the error messages --not the descriptions--
as a first step? That would reduce the wordcount to ~5.000 words.
After all, that's what shows up in Padre.

I will review/update the Spanish GUI translations in the next few
days. What's the expected release date of v0.28?

I have created a multilingual glossary (which you can find attached)
containing Padre's GUI strings for all the languages currently
available. This reference may be useful to get inspiration from other
languages or to decide the correct translation
of ambiguous strings.
The code I have used to create it (named L10N::PO::Glossary) will be
available in CPAN soon. I may be reinventing
the wheel (there may be several tools available to create glossaries
from PO files, like gettext lint tools), but there's nothing
wrong with that, and I plan to add some nice features.

BR
Enrique