[LA.pm] advice about contracting

Mark Hedges mark.hedges.data at gmail.com
Sat May 23 20:58:48 PDT 2015

Hey Perlmongers,

I just sent my resume out.  I'd like to stay in town if possible, contract
or employee, at this point it doesn't matter.

I was offered a contract out of state, on the east coast.  I was wondering
what people thought about the deal.

The money sounds okay, $57/hour W-2, no benefits.  But, I have no
guarantee.  No relocation assistance, and I would have to borrow to get out
there.  Then it's entirely possible that they would pull the contract for
no given reason and I would be living in my car far away from anyone with a
mountain of debt.

I am skilled, but I have gotten into a place where I feel a little bit
batted around, like maybe it serves some kind of immature social function
to screw with me.  I need the money, but I'm wondering if I should say no.
I kind of have a pattern of feeling desperate, so I take bad deals and/or
in bad environments, which leaves me feeling desperate again.  I'm
wondering if anyone has any advice on this.  Has anyone had a similar
experience?  How do you get out of it?

Should I say no to this deal unless they commit to relocation money,
deposit/first/last, and a parachute?  I get the feeling they're not going
to do that.  I need the money, but my instincts are telling me this isn't a
good deal and I will end up living in my car.

If you study quantum bogodynamics, I think I am a Pooron -- the meson pair
of a computron and an anti-bogon.  Frequently found living out of the trunk
of its car looking for free wi-fi hotspots.

Thanks.
Mark