[kw-pm] one more time -- discount o'reilly books -- a clarification

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Thu Nov 28 10:42:11 CST 2002

  since i've had a few people email me asking about these
discount o'reilly books, i'll explain this once more, with
a few extra details.  (even if you've heard this before, you
might want to read all of it since i toss in a few more
tidbits.)

  first, i'm not a reseller -- i don't make any commission
off of this.  because i teach unix/linux courses and use
o'reilly books for most of my courses, i buy a few hundred
ORA books every year and get a discount of 35% based strictly
on volume.

  technically, i'm not supposed to put in a corporate order
for less than 20 books, but ORA is pretty accommodating, so
anything around 10 books or above, they'll take (even the
little pocket references count as a book).  this is my
incentive to get an order together -- i want to order 2 or
3 books, but i need to fill out the order.

  the cost to you would then be standard retail price,
minus 35%, then plus the 7% GST (i *think* that's the
entire charge).  there is shipping, but *i* cover that,
just cuz i'm such a sweet and lovable guy. :-)

  at the moment, i have more than enough books for the
next order, but i'm going to hold off until after monday's
KWLUG meeting so anyone who wants to chat can ask me any
unanswered questions.  in addition, i'll bring a whacking
good part of my ORA library to that meeting, just so folks
can peruse.  i have a number of the python books, perl books,
most of ORA's XML/XSLT books, and a few networking books,
in case you wanted to actually check the content before
deciding to order.

  (in addition, since a few of these books are still in
mint condition, i'm willing to let them go to the person
who wanted to order a copy, and just let the copy that comes
in replace mine, if they want their copy tout de suite.
but that's up to them.  they can look thru the selection
and make the call.)

  finally, i'm also willing to give my opinion on any of
the ORA books i know about.  as one example, one person
wanted a copy of "learning xml".  what i recommended is
the much newer "xml in a nutshell" instead -- more content,
more up to date, and *still* appropriate for someone
wanting to learn xml.  so if you have questions, you can
email or chat with me at the LUG meeting on monday, as
i'll most likely be putting in the order on tuesday.

  i'll ask for generic ground shipping, so i can't predict
when they'll get here but i'll have an educated guess.

  anyway, have i forgotten anything?  see you at the LUG
meeting.

rday

p.s.  typically, i don't need payment until the books come in,
or at the latest, when the next credit card statement is due.
but that's never been a problem.