[Kc] [pm_groups] ISO location for perl/data center

Andrew Moore amoore at mooresystems.com
Sun Nov 22 07:12:25 PST 2009

Hi Uri -

I'd like to recommend the Kansas City area. Here are just a few of the
reasons that the Kansas City area is a good place for this type of
business:

* We have a small, but active perl community with a regularly meeting
PM group. There are a handful of companies around town that use perl
at some level or another, and we always seem to be able to hire
qualified perl hackers. Sprint tends to bring people to town, train
them, and then lay them off. Other business pick up their engineers on
the cheap.
* Kansas City has good network connectivity to the rest of the country
due to being located near the geographic center of the country and due
to the fiber that has historically been laid along the railroad lines
running through town. Heck, that was enough to convince Sprint to
locate themselves here.
* We're pretty much impervious to the types of natural disasters that
affect data centers. We don't get hurricanes, typhoons, brownouts,
earthquakes, or even noreasters. The occasional tornado is pretty much
ineffective against modern data center construction, especially if
located in the city where the heat island keeps them out. And if
you're really nuts about protection from the natural elements, we have
a huge cave industry here where tons of business is done in the KC
underground.
* Gas, rent, food, and other aspects of the cost of living are cheap
here. Salaries, too.

If you would like to hear more about the perl community in the Kansas
City area, or about the benefits of locating a business here, please
don't hesitate to contact me or the KC perl mongers
<http://kc.pm.org>. Good luck with your search!

Andrew Moore