[Kc] field report from Agile KC meeting

Andrew Moore amoore at mooresystems.com
Fri Feb 27 09:32:21 PST 2009

Hey KC PMers -

I attended the monthly Agile KC meeting last night
<http://www.agilekc.org/> and thought I'd share a few things with you
about it.

First, the meeting was an introduction to scrum, which I found pretty
interesting. I've been adopting many agile practices in my work, but
have never worked for a team that was all-out scrum. It was great to
hear how such a team would work. Martin Olson, of Silicon Prairie
Solutions gave the presentation and it was interesting to hear him
speak.

Second, it was good to see such a turnout at a local technical users
group. There were about 12 people there. We haven't seen those kinds
of numbers at our Perl Mongers meetings in years. I'd love it if we
could build up our interest and attendance a bit again. We've hit a
low in a couple meetings with just me and Jonathan, which isn't that
exciting or informative. Perhaps if we worked to lay out a more formal
agenda with discussion or presentation topics like Garrett used to, we
could revive some interest. I'll volunteer myself to pick a topic this
month. You're encouraged to be next month.

Our next scheduled meeting is Wednesday, March 11th. I'll talk for a
few minutes about Devel::REPL and Carp::REPL. These two modules were
the topic of a presentation at Frozen Perl and they came up on this
list this month. I'll talk briefly about:

* what the two modules are and how you can use them
* How you can use Carp::REPL to make development easier
* What's different (better) about these than the perl debugger
* My favorite feature of Devel::REPL which will appeal to any IRC
junkies out there.

The second topic will be figuring out an agenda for the April meeting.
You're encouraged to request topics or offer to talk about something
for a few minutes.

See you at 7pm on the 11th at Barley's in Shawnee!

-Andy