[Jax.PM] MySQL ?

Steve Lane sml at zfx.com
Thu Oct 17 12:26:42 CDT 2002

Aaron Johnson wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-10-17 at 11:43, Steve Lane wrote:
> > example: you've got 250 httpd's, each using 30 Mb unshared memory
> > (not atypical for a mod_perl server with a kazillion loaded Perl
> > modules).  that's 7.5 Gb memory!  and we haven't even counted the
> > mysqld's yet... but they'll typically be <5 Mb.
>
> I have to disagree.

what exactly are you disagreeing with?  my math?  the httpd
size is just an example, i didn't make any claims other than
the size of the mysqld's.

> I currently have a client setup running mod_perl on
> Red Hat with only 28MB of RAM. No I didn't miss a number, 28MB.  I am
> not sure how that machine was configured and for all I know it could be
> a VMWare virtual server, but in trying to determine a timeout issue I
> realized they had not setup a startup.pl file to preload the modules.
> After adding the startup.pl the server was able to handle much more
> concurrent traffic (total amount untested) despites its anemic RAM
> allotment.
>
> The total of unshared memory is closer to 5MB on my machines, how did
> you arrive at the 30MB figure? Or should I ask what are you running?

i arrived at the figure by looking at my console :).

> I use a lot of modules and have Apache::ASP , Embperl and Mason
> processed pages.  I also have PHP loaded along with SSL (all static) so
> it isn't a trim server configuration to start with on my end.

what is "a lot"?  10?  100?   we've got probably 300 or more *large*
modules :(.  not my doing, and i'm not happy about it, but there's
not a whole lot i can do about it.  most of them are in-house modules.
it's not a great situation, but as i like to say, imperfection is
a bitch.
--
Steve Lane <sml at zfx.com>