[Jax.PM] MySQL ?

William C (Bill) Jones wcjones at fccj.edu
Thu Oct 17 09:45:18 CDT 2002

>> What values would you give
>>
>> KEY_BUFFER=???
>> TABLE_CACHE=???
>> JOIN_BUFFER=???
>> RECORD_BUFFER=???
>> SORT_BUFFER=???
>> MAX_CONNECTIONS=300
>> TMP_TABLE_SIZE=???
>>
>> Knowing you have 6GB RAM 6GB Swap and want to handle 300 connections and be
>> very very fast (heck, I got 4 CPUs dedicated to this :/  :)
>
> just from experience, you'll probably gain more performance
> by concentrating on your table design, and how to handle
> expensive queries, and table locking, than from the variables.

Unfortunately I had no design control over the system (Blackboard) - but was
definitely interested in what other are doing, etc.

Maybe I should say I want to handle 250 httpd and 300-500 mysql connections
per second (simultaneously -- whatever that means these days.)

This is what I am doing in production:
KEY_BUFFER=128M
TABLE_CACHE=1024
JOIN_BUFFER=30M
RECORD_BUFFER=4096k
SORT_BUFFER=20M
MAX_CONNECTIONS=300
TMP_TABLE_SIZE=60M
WAIT_TIMEOUT=31536000

And Test:
KEY_BUFFER=512M
TABLE_CACHE=512
JOIN_BUFFER=30M
RECORD_BUFFER=4M
SORT_BUFFER=20M
MAX_CONNECTIONS=100
TMP_TABLE_SIZE=100M
WAIT_TIMEOUT=31536000

Both are about the same speed - except the test server is a single CPU
machine with 2GB RAM...

Does that help?
-Bill-  :]
  ('>    iudicium ferat