[JaxPM] Group Project Annoucement

j proctor jproctor at oit.umass.edu
Tue May 1 10:52:49 CDT 2001

On the jacksonville-pm-list; Jax.PM'er j proctor <jproctor at oit.umass.edu> wrote -

First, does anyone have any objection to our continuing to discuss this on
the full Jax.PM mailing list?  If so, we'll pull it off.  We will likely
do that eventually anyway, but for getting started, many of you may be
interested in lurking just to see how these things get going and what some
of the issues are in a large Perl(-ish) project.

>   I'm willing to pay for incorporation
> in the State of Florida unless someone knows of a better state?

Delaware is very popular in the for-profit circles.  Dunno what their
501(c)(3) rules are like, though,

I don't see a problem with keeping it under the auspices of Jax.PM rather
than a separate entity.  There may be some reason to make it an official
non-profit, but I don't think that's actually necessary at this point.  It
looks like a lot of paperwork for very little benefit.

> What name should we call our project?  And, who are the founding members?

WebCTsucks.org?  :)

Let's hash out a little more about what it does and how it'll improve on
the primary competitors, then we'll pick something catchy once we've got a
little more to chew on.

> Re:  XML DTD - let's get the specs out first  :)

Of course.  But I sorta see this as part of the spec, along with the
interoperability.  It's going to take some compelling effort to convince
me this isn't what we should end up with.

> But sometimes we need to stick to the basics...  How many here are hard core
> Perl'ers?
> PHP?  Apache API or mod_perl?  We may have a training route to travel first.

Just getting into PHP.  HTML::Mason is incredibly cool.  This is possibly
a question to tackle later, too.  Let's decide what we need the software
to do, then pick the best tool to make that happen.  :)