[JaxPM] counting a string

Nate nate at netimages.com
Fri Feb 25 13:18:02 CST 2000

On the jacksonville-pm-list; Jax.PM'er Nate <nate at netimages.com> wrote -

The other day I wanted to count a string to make sure that it wasn't too
long (it was to check the length of a username/password pair for an
account generation script).

I figured I could do something like this:

print "Password too long, try again\n" if $pass > 14;

..but it didn't work.
I ended up having to do this:

while($pass =~ /./g) {
        $count++;
}
if($count > 14) {
	print "Password too long, try again";
} elsif ($count < 4) {
	print "Password too short, try again";
}

It works great, but it's just not what I thought needed to be done (I
think I found the latter in the Cookbook). Plus, I like the first form, as
it reads like english, and is easy to maintain.

It's all done now, but next time could I use the first form? Did I just
get the sytax wrong (BTW, I forget the exact syntax I tried the first
time, I just made it up again ;)

Thanks in advance,
Nate
| Nate Campi         | Net Images Support                   |
| nate at netimages.com | Internet Presence: www.netimages.com |
| nate at campin.net    | Infosec docs: www.campin.net         |