your mail

j proctor jproctor at oit.umass.edu
Wed Sep 22 08:29:14 CDT 1999

On the Jax.PM jacksonville-pm-list;
j proctor <jproctor at oit.umass.edu> wrote -

> Is it just me, or is perl just a lot easier with Linux/Apache?

Yup.  :)

> The web server is IIS 4.0 (actually "personal web server") running on
> NT4 WKS.
>
> The problem is that when I activate the link to a test perl script with
> a sample parameter, i.e. /cgi-bin/result.pl?flavor=mint
> now when I click on it, the browser asks what to do with the file I
> want to download (you know the drill - open it or save it ;).
> I know the setup is hosed but click on "open it" anyways to see what
> will happen, and the server launches a CMD.EXE window with the script
> running in it, telling me:
> (offline mode: enter name=value pairs on standard input)

I've never actually tried configuring IIS or, for that matter, running
Perl on a Win32 system for anything other than minor tinkering, but it
sounds like what's going on is that IIS doesn't realise /cgi-bin/result.pl
is supposed to be executed as a CGI program, so it tries to send it to
you, then your browser realises that it really is a program and runs the
copy IIS sent (without all the handy parameter-passing that a web *server*
is supposed to do for a CGI).  Doublecheck your configs and make sure the
server knows .pl files (in /cgi-bin) are supposed to be executable.

The Jacksonville Perl Monger's Group is operated by -
Bill -Sneex- Jones ( sneex at usa.net ),