[pm-h] Perl Modules at HG

Mike Flannigan mikeflan at att.net
Sat Dec 1 08:55:40 PST 2018

No, the problem still exists.

I had a test print of file names in there, but
it is removed now.

The program needs to out text like this,
or it is not working.

*Your search was for "corticoid". *
*Found 81 matches in 48 Q&A's. *

*1) Q&A from the March, 2004 NADF newsletter: *

QUESTION: I recently "met" another Addisonian via an Internet chatroom.
This person does not take Florinef or fludrocortisone. Shouldn't all
people with Addison's take Florinef?

ANSWER: Almost everyone with Addison's disease (primary adrenal
insufficiency) should take some amount of Flofinef (fludrocortisone)
because this replaces the mineralo*corticoid* aldosterone, which is
lacking along with cortisol in primary disease. Flofinef causes sodium
retnetion and potassium excretion in the kidneys and helps to maintain
blood volume and blood pressure. There is a small amount of
mineralo*corticoid* activity in hydrocortisone, but usually not enough.
Therefore, when Addisonians try to replace with only hydrocortisone,
they often are forced to take too much hydrocortisone in order to keep
blood volume up, resulting in weight gain and other features of
cortisone excess. The dose of Florinef can vary from as little as 1/2
tablet to as much as 3 or 4 tablets daily. People who have secondary
adrenal insufficiency from pituitary disease or from long term steroid
use usually do not need Florinef because they usually do not have an
aldosterone deficiency. There are, however, some exceptions when
Florinef is needed to maintain blood pressure and prevent potassium
elevations.

*2) Q&A from the June, 2004 NADF newsletter: *

QUESTION: I am a member of an internet message board and they have been
talking about "corisol day curves". What are your thoughts on this
medical procedure?

ANSWER: I have never used it in my clinical practice. It is very
impractical to get blood studies throughout the day, the results are
highly variable and the interpretation for adjustment of medication
doses is questionable. I do still endorse the use of the lowest doses of
gluco*corticoid*s that prevent adrenal insufficiency symptoms and allow
for a good sense of well being and normalization of all the other
clinical and laboratory features that are affected by adrenal
insufficiency.

Mike