[pm-h] Remote Temperature Monitoring

John Ellyson jellyson at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 14:30:37 PDT 2010

Mike,

I got a bit busy at work or else I would have responded sooner.  (Yeah, I
know.  Strange idea to actually do some work while at work.)

Anyways, I'm doing something like this for our lab at work.  Unfortunately,
I probably can't share my Perl code (employer's intellectual property rights
situation), but I'll try to share the concept and whatever else I can
without getting into trouble with my employer.

The device that I used is the Digi Watchport/H sensor since we already are
using those for some other work.  If you're not interested in the humidity
readings, you might find the Watchport/T sensor to be more inline with your
needs.  The link below is for more details from the manufacturer.

http://www.digi.com/products/wirelessdropinnetworking/sensors/din-watchport-sensors.jsp#models

In my implementation, I set up 4 of these sensors in each of the A/C zones
for our lab.  I connected all four of them to a single system running
Windows.  On that system, I set up a Perl script that connected to the
sensors using the Win32::SerialPort and used Net::EasyTCP to set up a
"telnet" server.  The basic behavior is that when a "client" connects, this
script would:
  1) Connect to a temperature/humidty sensor
  2) Retrieve a reading
  3) Sending reading to client
  4) Repeat steps 1-3 for remaining sensors and then close the connection

I set this script (actually I bundled it into a self contained executable
using PerlApp from ActiveState) as a scheduled task to run when the OS comes
up.  Eventually, I probably should update the script to be run as a service.

There may be better and/or cheaper methods of accomplishing the same thing,
but that's what I used.  Let me know if you have any questions about my
implementation.

Good luck on getting things set up!

John Ellyson