[pm-h] Remote Temperature Monitoring

Mike Flannigan mikeflan at att.net
Fri Jul 23 13:31:31 PDT 2010

On 7/23/2010 7:56 AM, Mike Flannigan wrote:
> I'm looking to remotely monitor a digital thermometer
> connected to a computer.  The computer I plan to
> use has USB and Serial.  I have to use Windows,
> but only because I couldn't get Unix loaded on this
> old computer.
>
> I need to export the temp to a location 1,000 miles
> away.  Haven't decided if I'm using the web, FTP,
> Telnet, or what for the data transfer.  I want flexibility
> where I can write the Perl program to do what I need
> to do.
>
> I'm sending this to you guys in case one of you
> has already grappled with this.  I can see on the
> internet that there are about 1,000 options.
> Please call me or e-mail the list if you can help
> me decide which way to go with this.  Buying
> something from a local store might be my
> best option.  I plan to go to EPO and Fryes
> today to see what is available there.
>

> I'm think this one is what I need, but I'm to
> lazy to do all this work:
> http://www.riccibitti.com/pc_therm.htm
>

> This one seem really good:
> http://www.spiderplant.com/hlt/index.html
> but that first link says they are out of business.
>

> Do these USB powered units work?
> http://www.tomtop.com/pc-laptop-usb-powered-thermometer-temperature-sensor-data-log.html
>

> http://www.lancos.com/webtherm.html
>
> http://www.pcsensor.com/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=15
>
> A very interesting one:
> http://www.maxim-ic.com/products/ibutton/products/ibuttons.cfm
>

> This one will probably work, given the price:
> http://www.americanweather.com/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=48&osCsid=686d544982fe2f42e47e0dfe239aca47
>

> Talk on a blog:
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/b/mcreasy/archive/2004/07/19/187554.aspx
>

> Mike Flannigan
> 281-286-6869

If EPO or Fry's have these products, they
don't know that they have them.

I'll probably just go with a cheap TemperNTC.
It's a cheap device of dubious quality with
very bad software, but I can probably get it
to work for me.  If you do use this thing on
Windows, you probably need one of these
software upgrades:
http://www.alsgh.com/utac/
http://www.play-time.demon.co.uk/ThermoHID/index.html#download

It appears the Chinese manufacturer has
not gotten the thing in good working order yet,
so there is a lot of junk hardware out there.
In fact, I think it's probably all junk, but some
people have gotten it to work to some degree.

Mike