Linux migration

Al Tobey albert.tobey at priority-health.com
Wed Nov 12 13:04:58 CST 2003

> I've used Redhat since before 4.x and have several servers
> running 7.x and higher.  My primary applications are postgresql,
> apache, postfix, and antivir (none are RH specific apps, per se).
I'm essentially in the same boat.

> Now the Redhat Linux line (more importantly to me, Redhat Network
> support) is being discontinued and I'm being forced to migrate to
> go to either the Fedora project or Redhat Enterprise, if I'm to
> stay with RH (and/or I can just support my systems by hand).
There are plans to create the "Fedora Legacy" project, which would allow
you to continue to get errata for your RH 7.x boxes.  You'll be able to
use yum or apt4rpm to automatically keep your boxes up to date much the
same as you do now.

Another option is to follow the errata for RH AS 2.1.  2.1 AS is really
RH 7.2 with a new sticker and a few packages (like piranha). You can
download the SRPMs from their site, then install on your system like
this:
rpmbuild --rebuild package.src.rpm
rpm -Fvh /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/package.i386.rpm
Sometimes the version for 2.1 is lower than RH 7.3's, so you'll have to
force the up/downgrade:
rpm -Uvh --force /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/package.i386.rpm

> I chose Redhat for three reasons:
> 1) I've got a lot of experience with it and basically like it.
> 2) I love the Redhat Network service--my cron jobs kept my
> systems fresh and toasty for a nominal fee.
> 3) Redhat looked like a successful, responsible company that
> understood the principles of open source and customer service.

> Do I stick it out with RH (I get 50% off on the annual fee for
> Enterprise for the first year) or move to something else?
We bought RH Enterprise Linux.  I can't say I'd recommend it for shops
that don't require ISV (Independent Software Vendor) support.  In fact,
if you aren't running any major (Oracle/Veritas/DB2) proprietary
software, I'd say it isn't worth the money.

> I don't have plans to move to new hardware, so a simple app
> migration to new boxes is not currently feasible (maybe in a year
> or two)--it would have to be an upgrade/re-install.  I'm not
> "just a sysadmin" (I have many other obligations), so I don't
> have time to do everything by hand.
>
> I'd like my new distro/OS to provide:
> * A secure platform
> * A reliable platform
> * Automatic patches and updates
> * Security issue notifications
> * Free or reasonable fee for updates
>
> I'm considering just about anything (except Windows or SCO):
> * The usual big-distro suspects: Mandrake, SuSE, etc.
Mandrake has always been desktop oriented, so I'd not choose that for a
server.  My experience with SuSE is pretty limited, but I hear it's
pretty good on a server.
> * Gentoo Linux
Absolutely not on a server.  Great for a bleeding-edge desktop, but a
server requires consistency.
> * Debian Linux
Excellent choice for a RH 7.x era replacement.  Free updates, lots of
public support, and always one of the first to patch security holes.
It's probably also the most stable linux distribution in existence.
> * BSD's various flavors (especially OpenBSD)
No real experience ... <bigotry>Linux Rules!</bigotry>
> * Solaris
Slowaris is behind the times and will probably never perform as well as
Linux or *BSD on an intel box.  It just isn't their forte.  Solaris on
the AMD64 may be interesting, though (Linux will probably still be
faster, though;)

Slackware is usually a pretty good choice for a robust linux
distribution that doesn't have a lot of cruft.  It doesn't include NPTL,
which I think is a good thing for a server distribution.  It should run
all of your RH 7.x apps fine.  There is a tool called "swaret" which
will keep it up to date with security and bug fixes automatically from
cron.

> So at the risk of starting a flame-war:
> * Who has experience with similar issues?
Well, me.
> * What would you use in a production environment requiring 99.999
> up time?
The best tool for the job.
> * Who else is looking at moving off RH and to something else?
Many people currently on RH 7.x are moving to Debian Stable, which is
equivalent in terms of the base software.  I'd second that move if
you're really nervous about 7.x being unsupported - you can buy Debian
stable support from a few places, such as Progeny.

> * Has anybody seen an analysis on this issue in the press or the
> web?
Besides /. comments, no ;)

> Regards,
> sj

** ** **  PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL  ** ** **
This email transmission contains privileged and confidential information
intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above.  Any
unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited and
may be a violation of law.  If you are not the intended recipient or a
person responsible for delivering this message to an intended recipient,
please delete the email and immediately notify the sender via the email
return address or mailto:postmaster at priority-health.com.  Thank you.