Linux migration

Steve Johnson steve.johnson at missionindia.org
Wed Nov 12 08:49:44 CST 2003

I have a non-Perl (but open source related) issue.

I've used Redhat since before 4.x and have several servers
running 7.x and higher.  My primary applications are postgresql,
apache, postfix, and antivir (none are RH specific apps, per se).

Now the Redhat Linux line (more importantly to me, Redhat Network
support) is being discontinued and I'm being forced to migrate to
go to either the Fedora project or Redhat Enterprise, if I'm to
stay with RH (and/or I can just support my systems by hand).

I chose Redhat for three reasons:
1) I've got a lot of experience with it and basically like it.
2) I love the Redhat Network service--my cron jobs kept my
systems fresh and toasty for a nominal fee.
3) Redhat looked like a successful, responsible company that
understood the principles of open source and customer service.

Do I stick it out with RH (I get 50% off on the annual fee for
Enterprise for the first year) or move to something else?

I don't have plans to move to new hardware, so a simple app
migration to new boxes is not currently feasible (maybe in a year
or two)--it would have to be an upgrade/re-install.  I'm not
"just a sysadmin" (I have many other obligations), so I don't
have time to do everything by hand.

I'd like my new distro/OS to provide:
* A secure platform
* A reliable platform
* Automatic patches and updates
* Security issue notifications
* Free or reasonable fee for updates

I'm considering just about anything (except Windows or SCO):
* The usual big-distro suspects: Mandrake, SuSE, etc.
* Gentoo Linux
* Debian Linux
* BSD's various flavors (especially OpenBSD)
* Solaris

So at the risk of starting a flame-war:
* Who has experience with similar issues?
* What would you use in a production environment requiring 99.999
up time?
* Who else is looking at moving off RH and to something else?
* Has anybody seen an analysis on this issue in the press or the
web?

Regards,
sj