Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom

Steve Johnson steve.johnson at missionindia.org
Wed Mar 12 08:44:59 CST 2003

** I apologize if this is duplicated, my email address changed and I
hadn't kept up my Majordomo info**

Due to my Friday-based consulting work, I've been unable to attend
many PMs lately, but I was especially disappointed about missing the
most recent "round-table" meeting.  So that I can earn back some
Whuffie (esteem-points), I'm throwing out these discussion points:

Who has read "Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom"?  Written by Cory
Doctorow, this SF tale is set 100+ years into the future where there
is unlimited energy, death is defeated, there is no scarcity, and you
are wet-wired to the 'net 24/7.  Instead of money, you have Whuffie
(left and right)--which reflects the esteem that others have for you.
Sort of an Amazon-like "other people who bought this book also bought
clean underwear" kind of measurement that others can "ping" and see if
they will like you before they know you.

* Will Cory's idea of using a "creative commons" license that allows
free exchange of the digital version while simultaneously trying to
sell a deadtree version really work?  Will it be repeatable?  Does his
apparent success change anything?

* What did you think of the book?

* Is GRPM an ad-hoc, in the sense of the book?  If not, could it be?

If you want the book, go to http://www.craphound.com/down/ and
download a copy in HTML, PDF, Palm/Pocket PC readable form or
http://www.amazon.com and buy it.  I enjoyed reading it on my
Handspring.

Regards,
sj