Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom

Steve Poling sdpoling at attbi.com
Wed Mar 12 13:50:55 CST 2003

I have corresponded with Cory over the course of the last few months and after I read his
novel, I had this to say. If you want the book, ask and I'll lend you my dead tree format:

-----

I almost tossed Down & Out against the wall.

No, it wasn't you. It was me. Couple things you won't like about me:
Thing one is that I'm a Fundamentalist Christian. I'm not going to ask
for a donation and I won't whine about what you do between the sheets. I
believe in the heaven and hell thing. You know, eternal life, fire and
brimstone vs pie in the sky by and by.

Thing two you won't like I don't like. My Cancer has come back. I'm
figuring I've got five years if I'm lucky. ((I was being pessimistic at
the time, i'm not that pessimistic now))

So, I pick up Down & Out. Everything in it is plausible if all the
things we hope to happen actually do happen: free energy, death cures,
whirled peace, post scarcity, Linux world domination, all the cool toys.
As Utopian as can be.

I've been to Disney World exactly once. I came back telling folks,
"Disney World is nice, but it isn't Heaven." But I figure it is as close
to Heaven as you can find on this planet. Your novel pushed that idea to
the limit. Good show.

Here's what made me want to toss the novel. Your guy has everlasting
life in a place as close to Heaven as can be. How is he using this
wonderful gift? He's renovating an amusement park ride. The sheer
banality of life everlasting struck me between the eyes.

And I was thinking to myself,
'This could be Heaven or this could be Hell'

I don't know if the banality of life everlasting came to mind while you
were writing this novel. But I thought you might find the insight
useful.

the banality wasn't merely an outgrowth of the ad-hocracy, it was inherent to the point of
conflict: we're talking about an amusement park ride. is amusement what humanity
individually and corporately is all about? does the mob, albeit smart, still prefer candy
to medicine as Plato argued in Gorges? Shall the confectioner rule?