A Short Perl Brain Teaser

Joel Meulenberg joelmeulenberg at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 27 09:39:32 CDT 1999

> Actually, I have no idea but, I'm going to hazard a guess.
>
> Overflow memory

Actually, it might just do that on a finite system since I didn't wait
for it to run with that ungodly number.

I guess I should have said:
On a system with unlimited resources, what would it print?

> I recognize $_ as a special variable (but not what it's for). As for

I figured that might obscure things a little, but that really wasn't my
intent.  I actually write real code like that occasionally.
It's actually accessing the @_ array of subroutine parameters.  Usually
you'd see something like this:

sub g {
    my ($param1) = @_;
}

I just shortened things and accessed the first parameter out of the
special @_ array directly as $_[0].

> Thanks for the vote of confidence though!

OK, a clue:
Greeks might find it esthetically pleasing.

+Joel

=====