[Firenze-pm] Proposta per l'Italian Perl Workshop 2007 (firenze.pm)

Hakim Cassimally hakim.cassimally at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 05:34:37 PST 2007

Ciao,

Ecco la proposta dalla parte di firenze.pm per gestire l'Italian Perl
Workshop del 2007.

Per chi vorrebbe commentare o, ancora meglio, partecipare alla
organizzazione, commentate qui numerosi, o rivolgetevi a noi con uno dei
modi descritti sulla sezione "CONTACTS".

Saluti,
il cabal di firenze.pm

=head1 NAME

firenze.pm proposal for IPW 2007

=head1 STATUS

Draft: this is a draft document prepared as a "for discussion" to help
concentrate our thoughts. All items are subject to change, but have been
discussed briefly at the firenze.pm social meet on 14 Feb 2007 (see
http://firenze.pm.org/).

=head1 SYNOPSIS

The Italian Perl Workshop has been help in Pisa yearly since 2004.
This year, the Firenze.pm group would like to hold the workshop
in Florence.

If possible, the conference will be free to all participants.

=head1 DATE

The proposed dates are Thursday 6th and Friday 7th September.

These are subject to change, and are dependent on venue availability
- see L</"VENUE (TBC)">.

=head1 REASONS

=over 4

=item *

To give the hardworking chaps in Pisa a break for a year.

=item *

We believe we are currently the most active perlmongers group
in Italy, having had a social meeting monthly since March 2006,
as well as 2 successful technical meetings.

=item *

Firenze.pm are largely concentrated in DADA SpA, which currently
employs a large subsection of the "Who's Who" of Italian perl
talent.  We hope that this will offer both a large pool of
willing victims^Wvolunteers, and that we may be able to attract
support and services from DADA itself (to be confirmed).

=item *

Florence is a popular destination, and is likely to attract
visitors from Italy and abroad, including those who have already
attended the workshop in Pisa and want to visit somewhere else
this year.

=item *

Florence is easy to get to by train, coach, and plane (Florence
Vespucci airport, or the nearby Pisa airport - 1h20 by train,
which offers low cost flights from Ryanair and other carriers).

=item *

Being the week following YAPC::Europe in Vienna, we hope that
some participants of that workshop may be interested in extending
their trips to also come to the IPW.

=back

=head1 LOGISTICS

=head2 VENUE (TBC)

We are currently in active discussion with

=over 4

=item Universita' di Pisa, DSI (Computer science department)

The university has various rooms available, in the Novoli district
in North Florence, easily accessible from the Central Station.

=item DADA SpA

DADA has a conference room, and is towards the East side of central
Florence, by Piazza Beccaria.

=back

=head2 LUNCH

At both likely venues, there are many trattorie and sandwich shops
nearby which serve cheap and quick food.

If we want to provide lunch vouchers, we could try to get
a Florentine company to sponsor these.  As the event will
be likely to be free, this is a nice-to-have.

We propose a 1h - 1h30 lunch, based on feedback from previous
IPWs.

=head1 TALKS

Talks will be invited on all topics relating to Perl, and other
topics if deemed interesting!

Talks may be presented in Italian or English.

We are interested in the following types of talk:

=over 4

=item *

20 min.  This is the preferred format.

=item *

40 min.  Ideal for an experienced speaker who wants to tackle a
complex subject.

=item *

1hr tutorial

=item *

5 min lightning talk

=back

BOFs and Hackathons are also encouraged.  Other lengths of talk
will be considered.

=head1 SPONSORSHIP

All sponsorship is gratefully received.  This may take the
form of

=over 4

=item *

financial contribution to costs

=item *

"gadgets": t-shirts, literature, leaflets, CDs promoting your company

=item *

materials for the auction

=item *

provision of lunch vouchers

=item *

provision of equipment such as overhead projectors

=item *

provision of refreshments

=back

All contributions are welcome and will be praised fulsomely in
our printed and online publicity!

If your company cannot afford an explicit contribution, remember that
sending your staff to participate or to talk is also a contribution to
the success of the event!

=head1 CONTACT

=over 4

=item Website