[Edinburgh-pm] F#

A Smith asmith9983 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 10:37:38 PST 2011

Your last paragraph is where I'm coming from. I never was a great
programmer, but I need to understand the programming toolkit, to ensure  I
can get software written which is robust,reliable anbd maintainable. Java
will be around for a long time due to its installed base and teaching
courses. I'm sure the People working on Perl 6 are committed to producing a
quality product, as is  almost everyone  working on a software project. Its
not possible for anyone to be an experienced expert on all software tools,
so  we need to focus our attention on those  where we can gain experience.
I  was trying to get a view as to whether F#  was likely to become a
language on all platforms if it had been fully open sourced. I obviously
poked a hornets nest!

On my personal learning curve, I am almost swayed to write a Haskell program
rather than a bash script on my Linux workstation,  as it nearly always
works correctly if I can get it past GHC! Always my fault,never GHC.
--
Andrew