[Edinburgh-pm] Send UTF8 info across Socket connection

Alex Brelsfoard alex.brelsfoard at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 05:30:22 PDT 2010

Hi All,

I have an issue that is plaguing me at the moment.
I have perl scripts that are reading in/creating string content in UTF8
encoding, and then sending that data across a socket connection (using
IO::Socket::INET), in a $socket->send($string,0) format.

But something in that send command garbles the string so that the special
characters (mainly accented characters) come out all messed up at the other
end.
Basically, I'm thinking that the send command needs to be told to send the
string in UTF8 encoding.
But I do not know how to do that.

I've tried adding use encoding 'utf8'; to my script, but no good (no
change).

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
--Alex