[Edinburgh-pm] CPAN application installation in practice

Robert Rothenberg robrwo at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 08:55:19 PDT 2007

There are some general "how to write a CPAN-style distribution" documents
going around, but I don't know how well they cover applications
specifically.

There are some generic File::* modules that will tell you where things like
configuration files or home directories live in a sort-of OS-independent
manner (some are not well-named on CPAN, for example, the
FreeDesktop.org-related modules.).  Others will help you to manipulate
things like permissions in a simularly sort-of OS-independent manner.

The Perl module-authors mailing list may be a good place to ask:

  http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.module-authors/

Rob

I don't suppose anyone has any pointers or books they could lend me that