[Edinburgh-pm] [OT] Whisky Evening

Anthony Randell anthony at randell.org
Thu Nov 10 02:40:47 PST 2005

Hi All,

Sorry I didn't make it last night.

Looks like the consensus is for whisky in a pub.

I'd suggest a Friday/Weekend evening so work doesn't suffer the next day.

Venue options:

*** Bow Bar on Victoria Street / West Bow - http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=EH1+2HH&iwloc=A&hl=en
*** Cloisters Bar on Brougham Street - http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=EH3+9JH

Cloisters is a better pub but can be more crowded.

Date options:

*** Nov 18 - 20
*** Nov 25 - 27
*** ??? Some other date ???

I'd suggest something like the following for the format:

5 rounds (each person picks a whisky from the bar from the styles below - effectively a blind tasting)

Start with Lowland
Move onto Speyside
Move onto Highland
Move onto Island
Move onto Islay
(Move onto the cheap stuff!!!)

That way the more intense flavours are at the end and your palate isn't completely wrecked too early.  Plus 5(ish) rounds should be within the realms of affordability.

Let me know the date and venue preference and any thoughts...

Cheers,

Anthony