[Dub-pm] Quick pack question.

Fergal Daly fergal at esatclear.ie
Wed Oct 13 09:19:06 CDT 2004

On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 03:01:00PM +0100, Fergal Daly wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 02:17:06PM +0100, Aidan Kehoe wrote:
> >
> >  Ar an tri? l? d?ag de m? Deireadh F?mhair, scr?obh Mcnamara John:
> >
> >  > Here is one way to do it (if I have understood correctly):
> >
> > Hmm, thanks for that, but there's relatively little pack magic compared to
> > what I had a gut feeling, was possible. Ah well. Pack seems more oriented to
> > quanities greater than a byte.
>
> pack does have some bit oriented features but it always takes a list and
> unpack always returns a list so it would be out of character for pack to
> take one kind of string and produce another.

Actually that's not true at all, in my own code below unpack returns a
string (not a list) and pack takes string (not a list)! It's probably more
correct to say that pack usually takes something nice and readable and turns
it into binary and unpack usually takes something binary and turns it into
something nice and readable. So going from binary to binary requires one of
each,