[DFW.pm] Homework for the list, and for Oct 08 meeting

Tommy Butler homebase at internetalias.net
Thu Sep 11 15:23:11 PDT 2014

Not necessarily, Robert.  To me, it's like grinding my teeth with sandpaper when I have to use mathematical operators on strings.  + = -

Oh there are too many languages that do this to us, and then afterward some really stellar ones will follow up that poke in the eye with another.  I'm talking about the ones that proudly don't support string interpolation.  This makes the first problem worse. How? Let's see. As an example we'll play every browser's favorite game: "adding strings and variables"...

greet( "Hello, there " + visitor.fname + ".  My name is " + me.fname + " " + me.lname + "." )

Here's Bob Costas with some post game review:
Hi there viewers.  I'm not sure who won.  I'm not sure anybody won.   But the I'm feeling good about tonight's game.  Not one semicolon.  No sigils either!   If you want to avoid unnecessary punctuation, this is the way!   Back over to you,  Tommy.

Thanks Bob for that hard hitting review.  I agree that this is the way we should be programming...like it's 1999.  What a time to be alive.  Yep.  You've won me over now lang.name. 《/sarcasm》

Using "incorrect" operators for a given datatype.   That's what I dislike.  And then forcing me to do it hundreds of times in a simple program because there's no interpolation support is what I strongly dislike.

Patrick,  I like tilde for string concat.  Heck I love it.  And if Perl didn't already wasted the underscore for numeric notation lipstick, I'd go for that too.

Thanks for watching tonight's episode of "My Issues, Grab Some Tissues".  This is your host, Tommy Butler signing off.  Have a good night ladies and gentlemen.

...is this thing still on?  I wonder if Patrick noticed my《french》sarcasm...