[DFW.pm] Trouble running a simple perl program

Reini Urban reini at cpanel.net
Fri Jan 10 12:38:03 PST 2014

On 01/10/2014 02:25 PM, Tommy Butler wrote:
> I'm curious: Is there a particular reason why you are using ActiveState
> Perl instead of Strawberry?
>
> In addition to this list I aways recommend that questions be asked on
> www.perlmonks.org as well.  The site looks like it's straight out of the
> nineties, but it is actually tremendously useful.  They have a few
> resident Perl-On-Windows gurus too.

The same would happen on linux or OSX also, if the shared librabry does
not match the perl.exe executable.

Rick:
you need to find an offending perl*.dll in your path which overrides the
correct perl*.dll for your perl.exe

there are some utilities to help you in this, but all these require
either a mingw, cygwin or a MSVC installation.

> On 01/10/2014 02:05 PM, rickazevedo2 at lycos.com wrote:
>> Sorry, but I have no idea.  Is the Perl executable in XP compatibility
>> mode?
>>
>> on Jan 10, 2014, *John Fields* <wigthft at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>     Well poo.  Getting the version worked on Wednesday night.
>>
>>     No, because you are telling what you have (win8) to treat the
>>     program as if it was running on XP.  Or to actually be backward
>>     compatible for this one program. Because win8 doesn't look back.
>>     Like a shark it has no neck.
>>     (Futurama joke)
>>
>>     Try right clicking on the Perl.exe executable, select properties,
>>     compatibility tab,  XP Service Pack 3 mode. Hmmmmmm.
>>
>>     On Jan 10, 2014 1:00 PM, <rickazevedo2 at lycos.com
>>     <mailto:rickazevedo2 at lycos.com>> wrote:
>>
>>         perl -v gave me the same error message.  Wouldn't XP
>>         Compatibility mode be wrong for Windows 8?
>>
>>         on Jan 10, 2014, *John Fields* <wigthft at gmail.com
>>         <mailto:wigthft at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>             Hmmm. Just like Padre was doing at first.
>>
>>             Let's recheck: run "Perl -v" and see if it still gives you
>>             the version number and the paragraph of text.
>>
>>             That should still work.  If it doesn't then something is
>>             different since wed night.  May need to apply the XP
>>             Compatibility mode setting to the Perl.exe file under
>>             c:\strawberry since win8 makes life hard just because it
>>             seems.
>>
>>             On Jan 10, 2014 11:10 AM, <rickazevedo2 at lycos.com
>>             <mailto:rickazevedo2 at lycos.com>> wrote:
>>
>>                 With the command line open, I type "perl helloworld.pl
>>                 <http://helloworld.pl>" (the name of the file) and hit
>>                 enter.  It gives me the "0xc000007" error message,
>>                 refusing to execute the program.  I looked up answers
>>                 online and a lot of them are "reboot the machine" "try
>>                 reinstalling" etc.  I rebooted and it didn't fix
>>                 anything.  A registry-fixer was recommended but I
>>                 decided to uninstall it after installing.  It would be
>>                 nice to have some help.  Thank you.  Rick Azevedo

[Disclaimer: The views expressed in this letter are my own, and do not
represent those of my employer.]
--
Reini

Working towards a true Modern Perl.
Slim, functional, unbloated, compile-time optimizable