[DFW.pm] PHP Y2K Programming Problem!!!

Clement Cervenka cjcervenka at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 3 08:09:37 PDT 2010

Nick,

Thanks for the feedback, I should have provided more
details, then being general statements in nature;

I do know that Oracle, Solaris, OSX, etc.,are closed
platforms and not free/open source software. I was
listing programming languages that are general know
to eveyone in the business, but the students don't know
anything about them at all, and you can include HTML as
well. (This is scarey and at the same time very funny) :)))
But yet, all most all of the students know and use Open
Office and its related programs.

Some FYI that everyone should know about their school's
vocational and technology programs. Funding,salaries and
related equipement comes from the federal government
(indirectly your taxes) and not from your local/state ISD
taxes that you pay each year.

No state/local property taxing funds are used at all, as
asposed to the english,math,science, other classes and
related materials and equipments, salaries and etc. which
comes from your direct local/state ISD taxes.

At an ISD, with an onsite,group,educational renewal fee for
each campus (high,junior,elementary) just for the microsoft
software various programs alone ran $20,000 per campus.
Figuring 20 high, 60 junior, 80 elementary that 160
renewals at $20,000 per campus, that expensive.

So of the ISD are now discounting teaching and using
the microsoft various programs and have already switched
to Open Office and its related programs, and its starting
to become more common place. Also, due to funding such
programs as CAD and autodesk programs have been discounted
and replaced with chief architure, because newal fee for
autodesk and CAD are even more expensives than microsoft
and chief architure is given freely and updated/upgraded
freely to the ISD, so is Solid Works as well.

I have first hand experience with off-shoring, and
several of my friends and work associates are curretly
employed in this siutation, and I do agree that has everything
to do with short-sighted management decisions, globalization
of the tech market, and relatively cheaper labor. You might
be intereted in knowing that about 20% of the printing in now
done off-shore (china,mexico,etc.)

Yet, when the students and I talk about this off-shoring
they either don't know about it and aren't interested in its
effect on the US job market. I can't figure out why this
is happening or even make then understand that this affects
their parents or even them, when they start job hunting.

Maybe, its an generational thing.

I wanted everyone to know whats going on in the technlogy
fields at you local ISD, because the teaching of any
programming lanaguages falls under this above category.

The main thing, is that if the local business don't
meet with and advise your local schools of its job skills
and training, then these programming programs will be
phrased out. Example is with the FWISD, that teaches only
1 class of Java and 3 class of Flash at 3 high school
campuses only.

Thanks for the feedback and hope this FYI.

Joe