[Classiccity-pm] Hello. Is this thing on?

Darrell Golliher darrell at golliher.net
Sun Sep 14 08:46:43 PDT 2008

    I should say that like Nathan and Paul, I'm not in Athens
anymore.    However we do sling a lot of perl at work-- it still our
language of choice for all our 80 media websites and associated
content management tools built using perl, specifically
HTML::Mason.      I occasionally dabble in some hacking and when I do,
it's in Perl.   Professionally, I'm more likely to hire a Perl
programmer than write any code myself.

    My latest hacking has been using POE to write an IRC bot that
listens on UDP for events from our ticketing system and broadcasts
certain notices to our team IRC channel.    It took me *years* of perl
osmosis before the light finally went on for me with POE, but now that
it has, I'm digging it.   I think my next hack might be to try and get
some alerts going out over XMPP.

     The area that I feel compelled to learn more about is Perl
testing-- especially the idea of running continuous smoke testing
against our SVN code base.   Someday.. maybe.. I'll get around to that.

-Darrell