[Cincinnati-pm] May cinci.pm status

Jon Gentle atrodo at atrodo.org
Fri May 8 20:16:50 PDT 2020

On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 7:49 PM splatt9990 . <cmcgowan9990 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sounds good to me. I'm pretty interested in this topic as well.
>
> Chris McGowan
>
> On Fri, May 8, 2020, 1:10 PM Scott R. Corzine <scott at ties.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I would echo Kevin and add that I would like to see that and see what is essential, what's a good idea, and the nice but not necessary category.
>>
>> I did the PRC (Pull Request Challenge) years ago and it seemed like a lot of the modules had files for a bunch of different modules/management tools.  In a few cases it looked like that control code/files was larger than the actual functional code.
>>
>> It left me uncertain what additional things I would have to learn and do to submit a "proper" CPAN module.
>>
>> -Scott-
>>

>> On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 12:27 PM Ernst, Kevin <Kevin.Ernst at cchmc.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Jon,
>>>
>>> Hope you're well.
>>>
>>> I'm not a professional Perl developer by trade (just professionally-frustrated by Perl on a regular basis is all), so this might seem like a fatuous proposition to everyone else, but what would be immensely helpful for me is to see the process of creating a CPAN module in the first place.
>>>
>>> I mean all the MakeMaker and the Dist::Zilla and the Makefile.PL stuff that always seemed like eldritch magical incantations to me.
>>>
>>> I want to love Perl, and CPAN, but I think I don't "get" it, and watching someone proficient in the language and the surrounding toolchain would probably do a lot to ameliorate that situation.
>>>
>>> —Kevin

I think it'd be fun to do a live, collaborative session of creating a
CPAN module. I would rather have an idea of what we were writing
before we start so we aren't deciding what to write that night; it
seems that we could easily spend more time deciding what to write
instead of writing. I don't have any ideas off hand so I'm open to
suggestions for a simple, usable module idea that we can do.

-Jon Gentle