[Chicago-talk] Module install problem

Doug Bell madcityzen at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 22:11:52 PDT 2015

It likely looks like a local::lib directory, not necessarily a custom Perl in your $HOME. Which might mean that the the cpan client's guided setup was directed to use local::lib instead of installing to the system Perl. Using local::lib is generally recommended when using cpan, because the OS Perl and lib directories are subject to the OS's whims, and it allows using cpan when you're not root.

If you need modules to be available to everyone, using cpan without local::lib works and is generally trouble-free, except when it's not and you're left with a mess to clean up (which generally only happens during an OS upgrade, and only if the OS upgrades Perl).

Doug Bell
madcityzen at gmail.com