[Chicago-talk] Password strength

Joel Limardo joel.limardo at forwardphase.com
Fri Aug 7 10:35:38 PDT 2015

"...I wouldn't personally suggest doing this (and if you are going to do
it, I certainly wouldn't store them as MD5 hashes)...."

I read the suggested article on stackexchange and I cannot discern what the
problem with storing old MD5 hashes of the password would be from it.  One
reply seemed to indicate that successive, nearly similar versions of a
hashed password could somehow be used to discern the password:

"...A user uses a relatively weak password, realizes this and updates the
password to a better password...superawesome -> !sup3eraw3s0m3!"

But the hashes of even those two examples are so markedly different I
cannot imagine what process would be used to identify anything similar
between them:

$ perl -MDigest::MD5 -e 'print Digest::MD5::md5_hex(q|superawesome|);'
b088b8dd3440c243eac53b2b23003c60

$ perl -MDigest::MD5 -e 'print Digest::MD5::md5_hex(q|!sup3eraw3s0m3!|);'
f1e8301312feacb45b752a6ce77eb880

MD5 hash 'reversal' appears to be done using some kind of dictionary file
(see http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=727370) which is defeated by using
the *combination* of numbers and characters as I recommended.

The biggest issue appears to be with asking a user to recreate a password
after some time period. The complaint is that it forces users to pick
passwords that are weaker. Responders agreed that forcing the password to
be a particular length (much like, "enter a password of an appropriate
length") is a solution here.

So I'm confused about what the issue would be with using MD5s if my
recommendations are taken together. Any insight?