[Chicago-talk] Password strength

Chris Hamilton cjhamil at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 09:07:19 PDT 2015

> Disallow reuse of passwords (store MD5 hashes somewhere)

I wouldn't personally suggest doing this (and if you are going to do it, I
certainly wouldn't store them as MD5 hashes).

Presumably you're generating a new salt and strongly hashing the password
each time it's changed, as such your easiest choice is storing a history of
prior salt/hash combinations and comparing against these.  Still, I'm not
sure I'd recommend spending too much time caring about password reuse,
because unless you're going to disallow password reuse for all time, you
aren't actually preventing someone from reusing a password anyway (they
just need to go through N+1 quick password change iterations to get back to
where they started).

Some related reading:

http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/85074/is-it-safe-to-store-a-password-hash-history-for-preventing-user-to-keep-same-pas

-Chris