[Chicago-talk] Upcoming Project Night

Joel Berger joel.a.berger at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 06:10:25 PDT 2012

I know its a little late notice, but I am happy to accept David's
nomination of Alien::Base as a focus of this week's
Chicago/WindyCity.pm project night. I waited this long to reply
because I had a deal of work that I needed to do to get it to a usable
state. That said, I would be overjoyed to have this opportunity.

Alien::Base is a project which aims to take one of the most difficult
tasks in the CPAN sphere: creating an Alien:: module (one which
provides a C library to Perl modules via CPAN) and abstract all the
difficulty, making it one of the easiest. After my last code sprint,
it seems that it is passing its tests on Linux and Mac and I have
anecdotal evidence for Windows.

That said its real tests are how well it can provide these libraries,
how flexible and robust the configuration options are and how well it
can be employed. Therefore I invite you all to come this Thursday with
a C library of your choosing in mind (if you don't have one, I can
help you find one) and I will attempt to walk us through writing an
Alien:: module for it.

Of course, if this does not interest you, you are still encouraged to
attend! Project night is open to all people and all projects!

Cheers and I hope to see you there!

Joel Berger

P.S. we normally coordinate through meetup, but I don't see this event
posted yet. Here is the link to the meetup group, I will send another
email when the organizers make a post for this specific event.

http://www.meetup.com/Windy-City-Perl-mongers-Meetup/