[Chicago-talk] Discussion about Chicago.PM and Meetings

Doug Bell madcityzen at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 10:10:30 PDT 2012

On Jul 3, 2012, at 9:06 AM, Andy Lester wrote:

> On Jul 3, 2012, at 12:20 AM, David Mertens wrote:
>
>> The big idea behind that is that it's something that we can say "OK
>>
>> Andy, it looks like your idea got cut-off here. Anything else you meant to say?
>

> Just that I think it's more important to have regular meetings of some kind, moreso than nailing down specific content.  We want people to know "Oh, it's the nth Whateverday of the month, there's a PM meeting tonight."
>
> When we have that, and we can announce ahead of time "This is what's going to be at this meeting, and then here's what at the month following", then people can plan ahead, and they have more chances to be reminded.

Agreed. If there's anything that's been drilled into me about these kinds of things, it's "Cancel one meeting and it's pretty much over." Barring holidays and other such, a consistent schedule is the most important thing, even if it's just a meet up at a bar or restaurant for an extemporaneous discussion.

Right now we're the 4th Thursday, which has been working out well. Though I think any Xth Xday eventually conflicts with some big event or holiday, I think Nov/Dec is going to always be kinda poor on this 4th Thursday schedule (it will most always conflict with Thanksgiving, and often conflict with Christmas), so we could think about changing it to earlier in the month. Offsetting two meetings in a row during the busy holiday season might be a bad idea.

To that end, the Trello board has been fixed so people can actually post, and I've added a bunch of cards for meeting planning.