[Chicago-talk] perl GUI question

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Tue Mar 23 01:50:12 PDT 2010

On Tuesday 23 Mar 2010 01:58:14 Richard Reina wrote:
> Shlomi,
>
> Thanks for the input. Unfortunately from what I can tell both wxperl and
> perl/Gtk are very similar to perl/tk in that they are very mouse prone.

While you can use the mouse to operate wxPerl and Perl/Gtk+ apps, you can also
fully operate them using the keyboard (assuming they are written properly.)

> Don't get me wrong I like Tk and use it, for certain things it can't be
> beat. However, for this particular instance I am dealing with a menu
> that's built from the results of a database query and I am looking for
> something with the feel of a scroll down menu using arrow keys that won't
> make the user grab for their mouse.

I see that Cmenu is http://search.cpan.org/dist/Cmenu/ . It hasn't been
maintained since 2001 and the code shows many vestiges of ancient Perl. I
suggest against using it.

> Something like this.
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl
> # Sample Cmenu script

No strict, no warnings.

> use Cmenu;
>
> menu_initialise("Cmenu Sample Script");
>
> menu_init("Menu Title","Menu Help Text");
>
> menu_item("Option 1","gimme1");
> menu_item("Option 2","gimme2");
> menu_item("Option 3","gimme3");
>
> chop($sel = menu_display("Menu Prompt"));

chop? Don't you want chomp instead? And why do you need it in the first place?

> menu_terminate("bye bye");

And a procedural, global interface.

>  I just need a way to make the choices colored in order to fit into my
> schema

I suggest you write something using http://search.cpan.org/dist/Curses/ or
http://search.cpan.org/dist/Curses-UI/ if you wish to have a terminal-based
UI. Otherwise, just use wxPerl or something.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish