[Chicago-talk] Trouble compiling DBD::Oracle for Fedora core 8

Whitney Jackson whjackson at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 09:22:08 PST 2008

I tried building DBD::Oracle on a Fedora 8 box and it went pretty
smoothly.  Here's what I did:

- Installed these rpms:

oracle-instantclient-basic-11.1.0.1-1
oracle-instantclient-sqlplus-11.1.0.1-1
oracle-instantclient-devel-11.1.0.1-1
libaio-0.3.106-3.2

- From the untarred DBD-Oracle-1.20 dir:

$ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/oracle/11.1.0.1/client/lib # so
sqlplus can work
$ perl Makefile.PL -m /usr/share/oracle/11.1.0.1/client/demo.mk -h
/usr/include/oracle/11.1.0.1/client
$ make
*successful build output*

A few things to note:

- My box has all updates applied and is running perl-5.8.8.

- I'm no Oracle expert but it seems like build information can be
included in the .mk file.
  You may want to review the .mk file that is being used to ensure
that any build information
   is correct.

- I didn't run any tests since I don't have an Oracle server here.  I
just went as far as the
  successful build.

Whitney