[Chicago-talk] Suburban meetings need a new organizer

Andy Lester andy at petdance.com
Fri Oct 26 08:25:20 PDT 2007

I'm stepping aside as organizer of the suburban Chicago.PM and
Uniforum meetings.  If meetings are to continue out in the suburbs,
someone needs to step forward and take over the responsibility of
organizing them, either getting people to speak, or figuring out what
will happen during the meeting.

What you choose to do with the mantle of organizer is up to you.
There's no "supposed to" or "have to".  This is open source, and it
works with meetings just like software.  Whatever someone does is
what happens.  We have a space at IIT in Wheaton on the 2nd Tuesday
of each month, although that could probably get changed by working
with the Uniforum people.

I'll say it again: Whatever someone does to make meetings happens is
what will happen for meetings.  YOU can make the meetings be exactly
what you want.  You wanna have 'em at the bar down the street from
your house?  Then take the meeting organizer hat and make it happen.
If you want to have panel discussions about how Perl can be used best
for figuring out lotto numbers, then by all means, do it.

Messages about "Wheaton sucks, we should move the meeting to X" or
"We should have X at our meetings" are not helpful unless YOU are the
one who is going to make X happen.  Without YOU taking some sort of
action to make it happen, you're really saying "I want you to do X
for me," and that's not helpful, and is frustrating at best.

I will help however I can.  If you're at all interested, even if only
in helping a bit, please let me know.

Thanks,
xoxo,
Andy