[Chicago-talk] Introducing Myself

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Thu May 31 04:30:29 PDT 2007

On Wednesday 30 May 2007, Andy Lester wrote:
> On May 30, 2007, at 3:02 PM, Jonathan T. Rockway wrote:
> > But I have to admit, it's kind of weird that you're here.  If you want
> > to adopt a PM that doesn't have anyone "famous", you are welcome to do
> > so, but keep in mind that chicago.pm has Andy, Pete, Josh, brian d
> > foy, etc.  Your time might be better spent elsewhere.  That said, it's
> > not really up to me to decide how to spend your time.
>
> All are welcome on Chicago.pm.  I'm on a number of different non-
> Chicago mailing lists, and I've been suggesting for a while that
> people visit other less-trafficked sites:
>
> http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.qa/2006/07/msg6519.html:
> Adopt a Perl Mongers group.  Go to pm.org, and find a Perl Mongers
> group that could use a kick in the ass and/or expert technical help.
> Then, sign up for their email list.  Answer questions nicely, and
> helpfully.  Don't pick London or Chicago or NY or Portland.  Maybe
> pick Cleveland or Kuala Lumpur.

That put aside, I should note that all are welcome on Israel.pm too (whose
discussions are strictly English-only), and you are welcome to join. Except
for Perl we sometimes have "off-topic" discussions about text editors, IDEs
and programmer productivity tools[1], computer education, Israeli and
international employment trends, language and linguistics, latest JoS
article, etc. We still don't accept every discussion like London.pm does.

{{{{{{{
[1] - Including "Auto-Indentation - Good or Evil?" and spaces vs. tabs ;-)
}}}}}}}

dedicated to "philosophical" discussions of computing. We discuss programming
languages (including relatively obscure ones), concepts, math, science, etc.
there.

I should note that I'm also present on some relatively inactive Perl Mongers
groups or moderately inactive ones. My full list so far is:

# Birmingham.

# Boston.

# Chicago.

# London (as mentiond, I got banned on shlomif at iglu.org.il, but still
subscribed from shlomif at gmail.com, where I heavily detest the UI and
semantics of the MUA).

# Melbourne

# NYC

# Portland

# Purdue

# Israel (my original mongers group)

# Kansas City

I normally only start threads in Israel.pm, but maybe I should post to other
Mongers' groups as well. Haven't really thought about it.

I once tried to do the same for a Linux user group. I started with GLLug - the
Greater London Linux User Group, but was overwhelmed by the fact it had a
relatively high volume (not as bad as LKML or Bugtraq, but still), and that
the discussions there were mostly technical and not philosophical and so of
little interest to me. I ended up unsubscribing. I suppose SVLug would be
even worse, but I would like to try joining a Linux chat list (in English)
again.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

Shlomi Fish      shlomif at iglu.org.il