[Chicago-talk] The Perl Review v2 i3 and Perl::Critic

Andy_Bach at wiwb.uscourts.gov Andy_Bach at wiwb.uscourts.gov
Thu Jun 1 13:06:00 PDT 2006

> one tactic I took was to
> install the dependencies manually, either via cpan or via:

cd .cpan/build/Class-Inspector-1.16 && make (etc)

I get the same thing, either way.  Well
perl Makefile.PL
make
make test

works fine, but
make install

gets the 'Undefined subroutine &main::install' msg

> tests in newer versions (not yet fully stabilized, don'tcha know).

> As suggested, I removed the previous installation manually, and
> everything went smoothly.

Doesn't appear we had Perl Critic or any of the related pkgs installed.
Just thinking this "pure_site_install" ... okay, poking a bit deeper into
the Makefile there's:
MOD_INSTALL = $(PERL) "-Iinc" "-I$(INST_LIB)" "-I$(PERL_LIB)"
"-MExtUtils::Install" \
-e "install({@ARGV},'$(VERBINST)',0,'$(UNINST)');"

and then:
pure_site_install ::
   @$(MOD_INSTALL) \
      read $(SITEARCHEXP)/auto/$(FULLEXT)/.packlist \
      write $(INSTALLSITEARCH)/auto/$(FULLEXT)/.packlist \

If I make that:
MOD_INSTALL = $(PERL) "-Iinc" "-I$(INST_LIB)" "-I$(PERL_LIB)"
"-MExtUtils::Install" \
-e "use ExtUtils::Install; install({@ARGV},'$(VERBINST)',0,'$(UNINST)');"

it works. So it seems the -MExtUtils::Install is being missed/ignored
somehow.  Odd.  Pain to have to go munge that in each of the other scripts
but ...

Thanks.

Andy Bach, Sys. Mangler
Internet: andy_bach at wiwb.uscourts.gov
VOICE: (608) 261-5738  FAX 264-5932

"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system
 of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the
 masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony."
 -- Dennis - Monty Python and the Holy Grail