[Chicago-talk] Regular meetings start again in January

Andrew Rodland arodland at comcast.net
Sun Dec 17 16:30:00 PST 2006

On Sunday 17 December 2006 6:15 pm, Jim Thomason wrote:
> Is there really a need to split up the group? I don't see any reason
> why there can't be multiple meetings in multiple locations. Go to the
> one in the city if you want, go to the one in the suburbs if you want,
> go to the one in the other suburb if you want. I mean, it's not like
> anything'd be exclusionary (I'd hope). "Oops, you can't attend this
> meeting, since you live in Lake County." Bah.
>
> Mainly, I don't want to need to subscribe to multiple lists to find
> out about events that are going on, and if things'll end up getting
> cross posted to all the lists anyway, then what's the point in
> breaking it up?
>
> If there's a strong desire to break up, how about Chicago::Northwest,
> Chicago::City, Chicago::Southside, whatever? Still has some semblance
> of community.

Um, it's _been_ split up. There's been a regular meeting in Wheaton, courtesy
of Uniforum, and a not-so-regular meeting in Chicago, courtesy of Chicago.pm.
Anyone was, of course, free to attend either or both. Things have effectively
just _unsplit_, with Chicago.pm taking over the Uniforum Perl SIG's meeting
time and place. But since that's fairly inconvenient for those people who
_don't_ live way out west, brian would like to establish meetings downtown
again. Underlying all this are some issues with Andy's announcement style
that I will choose not to touch.

Any further questions, confusions, comments, or gripes?

Andrew