[Chicago-talk] I want to evangelize

JT Smith jt at plainblack.com
Mon Mar 28 11:35:50 PST 2005

> Of course, Template::Toolkit is also big, bloated, and complicated.
> Plus it introduces the need to learn a whole new language (albeit a
> simple one) in order to develop your templates, as opposed to Mason
> which just lets you write 'em in Perl. That's a concern depending upon
> your audience.

My favorite templating language in perl is HTML::Template, but Template Toolkit is more
powerful. Yes it's big and complicated, but I disagree that it's bloated. It uses less
memory and is nearly twice as fast as Mason. Also, the whole point of a templating
language (at least from my point of view) is to eliminate the backend programming
language as something that the templaters need to know. With TT you can make your tags
as simple as HTML and only tell your templaters about a few of them. That way they
really only need to know HTML plus a few extra tags. That's also the advantage of
HTML::Template.

JT ~ Plain Black
ph: 703-286-2525 ext. 810
fax: 312-264-5382
http://www.plainblack.com

Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave.