[Chicago-talk] How reliable is UDP.

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Tue Jul 12 10:38:13 PDT 2005

>>>>> "Richard" == Richard Reina <richard at rushlogistics.com> writes:

Richard> I am in the process of writing a short program in
Richard> which a  server sends small amounts of info to local
Richard> clients (on a LAN).  I do not need the bi-directional
Richard> communication offered by TCP, however, I would like
Richard> the communication to be reliable.

In order to know that the data got there, you need feedback.
That's "bi-directional".

So you've just contradicted yourself.

If you want to know it got there, use TCP.  If it doesn't matter if
every packet gets dropped when the net gets full, use UDP.