[Chicago-talk] Django / Rails Event

Jason Gessner jason at multiply.org
Wed Dec 7 21:02:46 PST 2005

On Dec 7, 2005, at 10:35 PM, Joshua McAdams wrote:

>>> Did anyone go to [Snakes & Rubies], what did you think?
>
> I went and recorded audio for it.  It will have to be cleaned up, but
> expect some audio and video out within a few months.  Audio could only
> take a few weeks, but I bet the video will take longer because of
> difficulty of editing.

I was also part of our crack av squad and agree with josh on the
release of the materials.  I am editing the stuff with one of the
Django developers in Lawrence, KS.  Should be interesting, but
hopefully we can get something out soon-ish.

> Overall the event was pretty good.  Django and Rails have two very
> different takes on what a web development framework should be.  David
> was definitely a more commanding speaker, which tended to sway the
> conversation toward Rails.  Catalyst really needs to catch up and we
> need an advocate here to compete in the debates.  With a Django
> developer and Rails developer in Chicago, Perl is underrepresented.

As anyone who attended the Catalyst/Rails thing in october can attest
to, Catalyst is a VERY different beast than Django or rails.  Both of
those frameworks have really benefited from a single vision for the
framework.  Catalyst seems to be running on pure adrenaline and is
extremely active, but seems kinda schizo.  I am still following it
very closely, but it is a totally different animal.

-jason