[Chicago-talk] Looking through the symbol table?

Steven Lembark lembark at wrkhors.com
Fri Sep 17 13:02:16 CDT 2004

> Somebody's asked me:
> Is there a command in perl (or an easy way) that identifies subroutine
> names that become available to the parent script after a "require"
> or "use" statement?
>
> About the best I could guess (I've asked 'why?' but not heard) would be
> to  do some sort of save of the sub names in the symbol table and then
> compare  after each 'use/require', but, frankly, I don't know how to do
> that.  Any  help or better guesses?

You can play with %:: or use the Symbol:: modules to
look around.

The debugger also has a few nice commands for looking
up symbols by package.

What are they trying to do with the symbols?

--
Steven Lembark                                       85-09 90th Street
Workhorse Computing                                Woodhaven, NY 11421