[Chicago-talk] What should I use to make PDFs?

jason at multiply.org jason at multiply.org
Fri Sep 10 14:21:28 CDT 2004

> PDF is a display format, not a printing format.
> Steven Lembark                                       85-09 90th Street
> Workhorse Computing                                Woodhaven, NY 11421
> lembark at wrkhors.com                                     1 888 359 3508

actually, this couldn't be farther from the truth.  PDF is an optimized version
of PostScript.  Nearly all print shops are moving to PDF (or being pushed)
because it can embed fonts and all other necessary assets, can handle color
management and profiling and can use a single source and format for everything
from display on screen to offset printing.  It is quickly becoming the print
format of choice.

Printing troubles with PDF files are a bit better than with normal postscript
files, but in my experience, they are much happier on postscript printers.
That and the fact that by default Acrobat Reader sizes your pages to fit on the
printer page may be the source of your problem.

-jason gessner
    jason at multiply.org